Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Time


There's a proverb that says "time and tide wait for no man."


... yeah, try telling that to a cop!

Apparently, in a cop's life, the only 'time' that matters is being on time for your shift. Beyond that, you are completely at the mercy of your job. Ending your shift on time is a laughable thought, and as a wife it's hard to not let your thoughts wander to the "dead or just delayed?" debate with yourself. And more often than not, "I'll call you back in 5 minutes, I swear" means you will be staring at the phone for hours.

The first few times made me a nervous wreck, now I know to get in a quick "kloveyoubye" and just pick my book back up, or find a show I love, or get obsessed with a new food blog (my guilty pleasure) and try not to jump too high when the phone finally does ring. Basically, all you can do is pass the time as best as you can, and stay as sane as you can in the process.

For example: the other day, I agreed to meet C and his Field Training Officer for a quick sushi dinner. I hurried home from the gym, threw some clothes on and headed up to the restaurant. It wasn't two minutes after I was sat at a table that my phone rang. "We got a call, be there as soon as we can!" C shouted over his squawking radio. So, I did the best I could with the extra 15 minutes I had to wait: I ordered an extra glass of Pinot Grigio!


What can I say? I do the best I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment